The specific use-case we will review is a Tenant network with a Provider Logical Router to reach the "External" network for access to the internet and corporate networks. The configuration of both Openstack Grizzly and Nicira Network Virtualization Platform or NVP is assumed to be existing and configured correctly. If there is enough interest I will cover these setups in a future post.
Starting PointFor the purposes of this example we are starting with a clean installation / configuration of NVP 3.1 components including an NVP Gateway Appliance and the NVP plugin for Openstack Networking installed and configured. Detailed instructions for this can be found in the Openstack Networking Administration Guide here
The Openstack Grizzly configuration is a simple single Openstack Controller on Ubuntu 12.04 running Nova, Keystone, Quantum, Glance, and Cinder. A second Ubuntu 12.04 system is used for KVM and nova-compute. Openvswitch is installed on both the Openstack Controller and the KVM Hypervisor.
At this point we are able to provision Virtual Machines, Networks(through Quantum) and provide DHCP services through quantum-dhcp-agent running on the Controller node.
NVP Plugin L3 ConfigurationThe first step is to edit the Quantum NVP Plugin Configuration and add the UUID of the NVP Layer 3 Gateway Service. You can obtain the UUID from the NVP Manager UI.
root@ubu-osctl02:/home/nicira# nano /etc/quantum/plugins/nicira/nvp.ini
Openstack Quantum Tenant Network Creation
- Source the credentials for user1 in the development Project.
- Create an internal network in the development project
- Create a subnet for the internal network in the development project.
Openstack Quantum External Network Creation
- Source the credentials for admin.
- Create an External network that corresponds to your Physical network
- Create a subnet for the External Network
Openstack Quantum Router Creation
- Create a Router called corp-external
- Create the External Interface for the dev-external router to connect it to the "shared-external" network created earlier.
- Create the Internal Interface for the dev-external router to connect it to the "dev-internal" network created earlier.